[LV] The kernel build process & tools any changes .

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Tue Jun 5 19:48:07 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 16:51:11 +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki <macro at linux-mips.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> >  	I see we are still under the weather or the gun to get things
> > done by those we made promises to & those we care about .
>
>  Well, I have a schedule which I keep more or less, but it does not
> specify any dates, only dependencies.  Right now I am in the kernel mode
> for the other architecture, which is MIPS.

The schedule. It's eating me :-/

>  I have just finished porting zs.c to the serial subsystem.  This is for
> the DECstation.  There may still be issues and I still have to look at how
> to make it work in a clean way with an LK201 keyboard and a VSXXX mouse
> automatically for the virtual console, but priority has dropped
> significantly on this one.  I shall use the experience gained here to make

What I just remember (I missed to write about that on the MIPS mailing
list) is that you cannot expect a too-much fixed assignment from a
given serial port to the LK/VSXXX. IIRC, port numbering (or wiring)
depends a bit on the machine :-(

>  Then I plan to switch into the user mode.  And there, first on the plate
> is GCC 4.1 and glibc 2.4.  This is where I left off a while ago.  These
> versions, while a little bit outdated by now, are not that unreasonable as
> they still sort of support running with linuxthreads rather than NPTL
> only.  This has the advantage of making a port of glibc to VAX/Linux
> possible without the need of defining a TLS ABI right from the beginning.
> Which is what I would rather avoid.  Any interest in a port of glibc?
> Testers?

The good news is that that uClibc based toolchain mostly
builds--again. Just some small nitpicks with limits.h etc., but that
seems easy to sort out.

We're also working on putting gcc/binutils/uClibc/glibc GIT repos out
there (git.infradead.org), which should ease the pain with keeping the
individual patches up-to-date.

And while using the regexp_helper.c for a different project (initially
written for the visualize_asm project and since then used in a lot of
projects), I found a bug in it...

On the kernel side, I'm behind, far far behind.  Hope to get all the
ends connected again.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:                 Gib Dein Bestes. Dann übertriff Dich selbst!