[LV] The kernel build process & tools any changes .

Mr. James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Sun Mar 25 23:13:09 CEST 2007

 	Hello Jan-Benedict ,

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:33:08 +0100 ,  Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw at lug-owl.de>
> Wrote:

..snip...

>> >    CC      kernel/mutex.o
>> > kernel/mutex.c:1: warning: -g is only supported when using GAS on this
>> processor,
>> > kernel/mutex.c:1: warning: -g option disabled
>> > kernel/mutex.c:30:24: error: asm/mutex.h: No such file or directory
>> <<< Here >>>
>>
>> That needs a fix.
>
> 	I am quickly running out of play time .  But I'd give it a shot as
> long as I do not have to create the definitions needed out of thin air .  I
> do not have enough( hell any ) kernel hacking experience .  So if it can be
> done by copying another & palying a bit I can try to do so ,  But it will be
> next weekend or the weekend after before I can do so .
>
> ...included from last message...
>> >       This brings up the lack of a mutex.[ch] and that for some reason we
>> > don't create the above link into our 'include/vax-asm' ,  which s/b
>> auto-magic
>> > as far as we are concerned .  But undoubtedly soem place else needs
>> patching .
>>
>> We do! The link should be there. If it isn't, the whole compilation
>> run will be busted :)  It would, eg. try to build some of the i386
>> assembler stuff with a VAX compiler/assembler, which won't work.
>
> 	Yes I found that out after another test build just to see if it gets
> created at 'make' time .  It does .  I -really- wish the kernel doods would
> learn to setup all such items prior to build time .  Like during *config .
> Oh well dream on .
> 	I have a kernel that built with CONFIG_DEBUG_MUTEXES defined ,  so
> I'll try that out here soonest .  I have a FULL log of the build & boot going
> onto my webserver shortly .
> 	Well the boot was unsuccessful .  I followed the README for th eitems
> needed if there is a failure .
>
> Well sooner than later ...
> http://www.baby-dragons.com/ka670-scsibxII-a-boot-200703181628.log
> http://www.baby-dragons.com/ka670-scsibxII-a.config
> http://www.baby-dragons.com/ka670-scsibxII-a.log

 	Any thoughts on which other arch's asm-*/mutex.[ch] files would be a
good start to use as a first approximation ?
 	I think it was you who took a look at the above url's .?.
 	Any ideas on where I plug something in & at least see that the kernel
is starting or that the jumpto the kernel is failing ?
 	Then next where to look to get one step beyond that , ... ?
 		Tia ,  JimL